Does poverty touch your life? If not, maybe it should.
In The United States of America, one in five people live in poverty, while one-in-five people are living on the margin of poverty, perhaps one paycheck away from poverty level. By deduction, three-in-five Americans are not threatened by poverty. As an optimist, I see this as great news. Sixty percent of Americans are in a position to help the forty percent of Americans whom are living at poverty’s doorstep. However, from the viewpoint of a pessimist, it may appear that nearly every other person is living in venerable conditions. So as you eat dinner tonight, imagine your neighbor struggling to gather enough food to survive another day and think of ways that you might help them. Understanding and acknowledging what it means to live in poverty is an important first step in helping to solve the problem of poverty. But at what point in our lives do we put our own desires, goals and needs aside to open our hearts and to help our neighbor who does not have as much as we do?
Phil 4:11-13 (Phi) ...For I have learned to be content, whatever the circumstances may be. I know now how to live when things are difficult and I know how to live when things are prosperous. In general and in particular I have learned the secret of eating well or going hungry--of facing either plenty or poverty. I am ready for anything through the strength of the One who lives within me.
Unfortunately, there will always be someone with greater needs than our own. We are tempted to isolate ourselves from those unpleasant circumstances. How can we responsibly balance our own needs with the needs of a stranger? Is it possible for us to recognize when we are blessed with plenty so that we may redirect the surplus to the needy?
As Christmas vacations come to an end and we return to “business as usual”, the New Year will be full of opportunities to share stories of our own blessed Christmas experiences and family gatherings and our goals for 2010. Perhaps we may begin a new tradition by planning now to help those in need and to fit others into our 2010 Christmas experience by pledging to sacrifice our own resources over the next 12 months. I assure you that the joy of giving will in itself be a gift that you may appreciate over and over again.
Contributed by Todd A. Thomas, Annville Church of the Brethren, ANE Peace and Justice Committee
Tuesday, January 19, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment